Boys soccer: Oilers, Wildcats battle for playoff position in 24-5A
Pearland and Clear Creek played to a 1-1 deadlock during the first round of District 24-5A boys soccer, and this second-round meeting looks to have an impact on one or more playoff spots.
Clear Creek and Pearland had identical 4-2-2 (14 point) district starts, including the tie against each other, and just past the midway point of league play, they trailed Dickinson (5-0-3, 15 points) and Brazoswood (5-2-1, 16 points).
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Pearland at Clear Creek
• When: 7 p.m. Tuesday, March 8
• Where: Clear Creek ISD Veterans Memorial Stadium at Clear Creek High School
• What's at stake: Top-four playoff positioning in 24-5A
• Pearland players to watch: M Alan Hernandez, F Brandon Martin, M Brandon Williams, F-M Gabe Moreno, D Luis Jaramillo, D Jesus Macias, F Arturo Reyna, M Anthony Engler, D Fermin Sanchez, F Nemo Barajas
• Clear Creek players to watch: M Terrence Meeker, M Tanner Graeber, Bryan M Mann
• Pearland: During the first round of 24-5A, the Oilers beat Clear Springs 3-2, Clear Brook 3-1 and Alvin 3-2, lost back-to-back games to Clear Lake 3-2 and Dickinson 3-0, and tied Clear Creek and Brazoswood 1-1. Pearland opened the second round with a 2-1 triumph over Clear Springs to complete a sweep of the Chargers ... Moreno, a junior, and Hernandez, a senior, are the team's top scorers, and against Clear Springs in the second-round opener, Moreno and Jeff Gamez recorded goals. Hernandez netted the only goal in the first meeting with Clear Creek on Feb. 11 ... The Oilers host Brazoswood in another key district match at 7 p.m. Friday, March 11, and close district entertaining Clear Brook at 7 p.m. on March 14, and playing at 7 p.m. on March 22 at Alvin in games wrapped around spring break.
• Clear Creek: The Wildcats also started district at 4-4-2, or with 14 points (two for a win, one for a tie), by stopping Clear Brook 3-1, Alvin 2-1, Clear Springs 3-2 and Clear Lake 3-1, losing to Dickinson 3-0 and Brazoswood 1-0, and tying Pearland in the first round, and starting the second half with a 0-0 deadlock with at that point first-place Dickinson ... Clear Creek plays at 7 p.m. Friday, March 11, at Alvin, hosts Clear Springs at 7 p.m. on March 14, and closes district at 7 p.m. on March 22 at Clear Lake ... Through eight matches, the Wildcats led Clear Brook (3-3-2, 11 points), Clear Lake (3-5-0, nine points), and Clear Springs 1-5-2, five points).
Local Advertising by PaperG